top of page
  • David Acalin


Updated: Jul 12, 2020

Everyday in the news we see screaming children being separated from their parents as ICE agents pull them away from their mothers and take them to undisclosed locations to be put in cages and given drugs to sedate them. Some of these children will never see their parents again. We need to take a stand and let our government know this is not acceptable. The current administration claims these refugees are criminals and gang members. The truth is very different. The vast majority of these people come from very violent countries where their governments are either unwilling or unable to protect them. If these refugees stayed they were going to be killed. They knew the dangers they would encounter getting to the U.S. and they knew what they would be facing when the reached the U.S. border, but they were willing to take the risk because it was better than being killed.

Recently rallies were held all over the country to let our government know this type of treatment of children is totally lacking in human decency and must stop. I went to the rally in downtown Los Angeles in front of City Hall. Hundreds of thousands of people were there to show their support. The best thing you can do to help is to call your congressman or senator. These type of demonstrations do not have much influence on our elected officials. Why? Because they do not know how many of these people vote in their district. Congressmen and Senators rarely get direct calls to their offices from their constituents. If 20 people call, the staff is required to make out a written report and take some type of action. This is an incredibly effective way to influence our elected officials. Let me take this opportunity to show what type of nation we really are.

Calling your legislator: A step-by-step guide (Union of Concerned Scientists source)
  1. Call congressional offices directly or through the switchboard. If you do not have the direct number, you can reach US representatives by calling 202-225-3121, and US senators by calling 202-224-3121. Ask the operator to connect you to the individual office. If you do not know the names of your members of Congress or want the direct line to their office, you can find your senators here and your representative here.

  2. Ask to speak to the aide who handles the issue about which you are calling. Your call will be more influential if you speak to the correct aide. However, Congressional aides are very busy and this is not always possible. If you cannot speak directly with the aide, leave a message with the receptionist stating your views. 

  3. Let them know that you are a constituent. Elected officials are most interested in your opinions if you are their constituent, so be sure to say the city and state you are from.

Welcome to your blog post. Use this space to connect with your readers and potential customers in a way that’s current and interesting. Think of it as an ongoing conversation where you can share updates about business, trends, news, and more.

I have been doing this for over 30 years. Please follow David Acalin Law to stay up to date on these pending changes in the immigration laws. We handle all type of immigration matters. Our staff has many years of experience and a huge number of success stories to demonstrate we know how to get things done. Do not put things off. Tomorrow may be to late.

19 views0 comments


bottom of page